Here is a tour through Southern California done in early March. The remarkable thing about this tour is how much of it was bike friendly. Most of the beaches in LA have dedicated cycling paths. The ride through Camp Pendleton is nearly car free. The longest ride from Borrego Springs to Palm Desert was along quiet roads through the desert, wide shoulders on the interstate, then cycling paths nearer Palm Desert. The only tip I have for this ride is to avoid Washington Blvd in Palm Desert. Incdientally, we rented a van at Palm Springs airport to get the bikes back to LAX.
- Saturday, March 6, Marina del Rey to Newport Beach, 90kms. Mostly bike paths along the ocean. The afternoon winds become quite strong. On a bad weather day, as this was, the wind seems to come from the south. We faced a strong headwind along the beach all afternoon. On nice days the wind comes from the north or northwest and will be at your back. I wouldn't want to do this tour in the opposite direction though.
One unexpected highlight of this ride was a path through a preserve in Irvine near the end of the ride.
- Sunday, March 7, Irvine to Oceanside 96kms. The first part of the ride was along a bike path that followed the San Diego river (I think it was the San Diego river), which was very pleasant. The last part of the ride, along the old highway 1 and through Camp Pendleton has to be seen to be believed. This is the most bike friendly ride I have ever been on. u irvine, san juan capistrano, pendleton
- Monday, March 8 Oceanside to La Jolla 42.1 km
Umremarkable ride, few beaches, good coffee, tech park, ucsd.
- Tuesday, March 9, La Jolla
Day off to enjoy La Jolla
- Wednesday, March 10 La Jolla-El Cahon 78kms, ferry ride to the silver strand, mexican border and back
- Thursday, March 11 El Cajon-Julian 70km 2% all day climb through the low mountains at the edge of the desert. Beautiful, but tiring. Some patches of snow, indicating that we were lucky to get decent weather.
- Friday, March 12 Julian - Borrego Springs 50 kms Descent into Desert - Last bit on this map.
- Saturday, March 13 Borrego Springs - Palm Desert 113kms desert. The initial part of the ride to Salton sea was spectacular, nice tailwind to boot. Most of it was along a busy highway, but with a wide shoulder.
- Sunday, March 14 La quinta Palm Springs 23kms car rental back to Dana Point for bike boxes. No reason for a map here. Follow the road just on the north side of Highway 10, then follow the local bike paths north of the airport. The maps are available on the web. On Bikely